My 1883cc Porsche 356 912 Blog

Chronology of a hot-rod street Porsche 356/912 1600 to 1883cc conversion based on LN Engineering's Nickies big bore kit.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Hershey

Odometer reads 2600 mi now. For those who haven't seen me set up at Hershey in the past, I have a pretty slick setup for outdoor swaps and shows that is designed to fit entirely in a 911 or 912, plus two passengers and their cargo. I would have to say that all together, it's about an extra 500# of cargo normally not carried. You know it's alot of added weight, since the car sits low and hugs the road, and if you hit a pothole or rut in the road, the car bottom out. Yet another good reason not to have a deep sump.

On the way there, I had some elevation changes and it seemed as though the heads were running a little hot. Prior to leaving for Hershey, I bumped the timing to 32 degrees from 30 to see what change it might have, along with a main jet change from 150 to 155. The rain sucked this year but the 912 and the 1883cc engine was a hit. We were not prepared for the weather and were very wet and cold, and we used the engine every once in a while to generate some heat for us. This prompted a crowd to form at out booth and requests to blip the throttle and bounce it to 7000 rpm. Smiles all around.

Along the way back, I changed the 155 mains out for some 160 mains to see if throwing some more fuel at it would help. Most definately the 160s were too big, causing a bog between 3000 to 4000 rpm, but I just pushed on. I also finally found the source of my oil leak- one valve cover was an early style from a 356 that at one point had a check valve that had been cut out, leaving an open path for the oil to literally blow out of the vent on the valve cover. Easy fix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home